Monday, August 2, 2010

Camping Recap!

I don't really fancy myself much of a camper. Perry has talked about camping for years. But, for 20 years, I've managed to dodge that camping bullet. Until now. Some friends convinced me to go camping.


Here's our home away from home. We drove to the campsite in pouring rain, had a brief window of clear skies to set up the tent, only to have it pour again. I wasn't convinced this whole camping thing was going to be much fun!

Fortunately, the rain stopped after that first night and we were able to do some really fun things! The campground was right on the Black River in Missouri. The river was very shallow, with a few deep spots with rope swings. The kids had a blast playing in the river.

We went camping with 2 other families from our neighborhood. The boys are all the same age and the girls are a year apart. It was so nice having friends along! (I did steal this picture from my friend's FB page because it turned out way better than mine - Carson looked like he was smelling his armpit in my picture.)


This beautiful spot is Elephant Rock park. HUGE boulders. Amazing to see in person and fun to climb around. (We intended to go to a swimming spot first, then change to hike in this park...but the swimming spot was full so we hiked in our swimsuits - like true rednecks!)


Elise and Carson at the top of one boulder.
Do you spot the tiny girl in the HUGE rocks?!?


The girls!

Striking a pose - 'cuz everyone should go hiking in swim gear!

Either Carson has really grown, or this is a dwarf tree.
Carson! :)
And - because I have no problem poking fun at myself - I'm including this picture (again "borrowed" from my friend's FB). Hiking off trail in your swimsuit with knee surgery scheduled for the following week and having broken an ankle within the last 6 months probably wasn't the smartest idea. Well, that and being a clumsy person with no balance leaves one a little scared of what might break or tear next. I honestly think I tore skin off my bum sliding down a few of these boulders when everyone else just jumped. Of course, shorts might have also been a good idea.


We then headed over to the swimming hole - Johnson Shut In's. Can you see Perry and the kids in there?!?


Look closely!


Our friends relaxing in a calm, less crowded spot. This was the site of a devasting dam break several years back and there were very prominent evacuation signs. That really freaked Carson out. Plus it was super crowded and slightly dangerous. So, he and I sat out and enjoyed the beautiful view.


The last day, we embarked on a 9 mile canoe ride.


Elise all ready to go.


Carson - all ready to go!


Proof that I was in a canoe!


Elise taking in the sights.


One of the other families. I laughed so hard this weekend!

Playing in the river during a break.


We found a great spot to hang out for a bit. Shallow enough to play around but with a current that the kids could ride.



What a great way to spend the day!



We kept finding fun little spots for breaks. This one involved a great rope swing.


But all good things must come to an end and off we rowed down the river. We had a GREAT weekend and I'm looking forward to trying my hand at camping again. But, I really need to work on a better list of things to pack next time so I'm more prepared!

3 comments:

Sandra said...

That really does look like a whole lot of fun! I enjoy everything that goes with camping, except for the sleeping in a tent part. Give me a nice air conditioned cabin with a coffee maker and I am an excellent camper! Glad you had fun :-)

Elizabeth Donald said...

What a wonderful post and a terrific trip! It makes me want to take Ian out there sometime. Thank you for sharing!

ekd

Karen said...

...not much of a camper myself; however, your photos of the beautiful place you and your family enjoyed/went to make we want to perhaps give it another try.