Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Current Events

Warning...not a post about my kids, but the world in which my kids are growing up.

Here are a few recent headlines that are really concerning to me:

  • This article about how race could impact the election. It saddens me to think there are still people more interested about the color of your skin than what's beneath. Regardless of which candidate you support, it is a sad fact that there are still people in our country who won't vote for a black man (or a woman) not because of his views but because of his skin.

  • This article about the compensation of Freddie Mac's former CEO. He got close to $20 MILLION last year...for doing a crappy job! Are you kidding me?!? His salary alone was 1.2 million, the rest came in the way of bonuses and other compensation. A bonus for running the company into the ground, requiring the government (wait now, that'd be you and me) to bail them out?!? Wow. Where is the incentive to CHANGE when you are repeatedly warned about the dire situation ahead? Yes, I think we needed the bailout to protect everyday citizens, but how much of that bailout is going to outrageous exec's pay? I saw a figure that the bailouts equate to every citizen paying roughly $3,000.

  • This article amused me, mostly because I'm really curious to hear Palin in an unscripted setting (in this case, take lots of pictures with foreign leaders but don't dare ask any questions of her). I'm a little tired of the "Thanks but no thanks for the bridge to nowhere" line that seems to pop up in every campaign appearance of hers. I don't want to turn this into a policital blog, but I am curious to hear more FROM this candidate that so many love. Clearly, based on this article, the reporters feel much the same.

  • I hate the way the world views China after these reports. This is the tragic result of the actions of a few, but it will reflect poorly on the country as a whole. While I want my daughter to be proud of her heritage, I don't know to filter these types of reports as she gets older.

  • And stories like this just go to show that some "academics" really do have a sense of humor by mixing science with some fun (warning, rubber duckie news ahead).

Heavy week, huh? For some reason, I'm really into the election this year. I can't get enough of the political news (although I do miss Tim Russert). Guess the fact that I'm up on some current events and interested in politics means a bonafide adult...please don't tell that to the inner rock star in me, OK?!

2 comments:

Vivian M said...

I think we all have the same things on our minds.

Tammie said...

I'm with you on this stuff!