Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My 3:00 am wakeup call

Allow me to set the stage....the kids didn't have school today. My aunt very kindly agreed to babysit so they wouldn't have to go to the day program at the local Y (which they hate). My aunt spent the night here so the kids could sleep in as long as they wanted. And Perry and I could get out of the house without having to wake up the kids.

At 3:00 am, I feel the gently prodding of a child and the quiet "mom, mom, are you awake?" I roll over to look into my daughter's eyes (well, as much of her eyes as I could see in the near darkness of 3:00 am).

I'm fully expecting her to say she's had a bad dream and ask to crawl into bed with us.

Me: What's wrong, honey?

Elise: Mom, will you and Dad wake me up to say goodbye before you leave in the morning?

Me: Sure, is that it?

Elise: Yup.

Sigh....my daughter was so concerned about us leaving and not being able to say goodbye that she kept herself up at night!

And, for the record, we did very quietly ~try~ towake her up (Ok, not really, but it's what we told her!) before we each left this morning. My aunt reported that she slept in quite late! Guess once she knew we'd try to wake her up, she was able to sleep more soundly.

3 comments:

C's Mom said...

So glad that little mind was put at ease. That's sweet.

Tammie said...

At least Elise finally fell asleep & stayed there. And yay for you that she slept in.


Erin had to sleep in our room. She hates any change in her routine. The only thing that saved us yesterday was that we made a big deal out of her going to the JCC for a travel camp day.

Vivian M said...

Awww that was so sweet! Even if it was 3 am!