Saturday, August 16, 2008

Lessons learned in Chicago

Some random thoughts:
  • I miss my kids when I'm away. Two days is about my max. I really missed them.

  • My nephew (above) has beautiful eyes and an awesome smile (while I missed my kids, it was so fun seeing him).

  • Even though our birth certificates say we are now 40, none of us FELT 40 (or even 30 for that matter!).

  • The best of friends are the ones you can pick up with like it was yesterday, not years, since last being together.

  • Don't ever give up on hearing from someone from your past. On Friday, we all talked about another good friend with whom we'd all lost contact. None of us had heard from her in 16 years. That night, she gets in touch with me via facebook. Freaky timing, but wonderful to hear from her (she always had a flair for the dramatic!)

  • For being in college, we were pretty stupid at times!

  • We sat around for a few hours at our friend's grave telling stories of our college years and laughing with his parents. It was a surprisingly good time. That's what I hope folks do when I'm gone.

  • I was really fortunate to have the college experience I did...and I never really appreciated it at the time. So, THANKS, mom and dad, for making it happen.

  • Thank God the big hair days are long gone.

  • I really should have colored my roots before taking these pictures (and boy, do I need to lose those extra 15 pounds!)!
Graduation day (Lorrie, Anita, me)

Today (me, Lorrie, Anita, Layne)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time and I love the pictures :-)

Tammie said...

What a great weekend! Even though you missed Carson & Elise, you really deserved this time away. Looking back every once in a while is a good thing.

The pics are marvelous!

Karen said...

How terrific for you gals to make the effort to stay in touch and get together~ it's hard to do with everyone's busy schedules-sounds like fun! Your nephew does have gorgeous eyes-future heart-breaker, no doubt!

2 China 4 Addison said...

Looks like a wonderful weekend! Depending on which IKEA you stopped at on your way home, you might have been very close to my HOUSE!! :)
My college graduation pic looks identical to yours, same blue robes and cap, same BIG hair!! I love it!
Becki